Toxic Heavy Metals
Levels of lead and mercury in the urine are just two of the toxic metals that this panel measures it also measures other harmful elements.
Sources of Exposure
Accumulations of these toxics can occur in the human body in response to occupational exposures or to environmental exposures from toxic release in air, soil, or industrial waste streams.
- Metal refining
- Fabrication of nuclear reactor fuel assemblies
- Alloying Electronics and computer manufacturing
- Plating and parts manufacture in aerospace and machine tool industries
- According to the EPA, the U.S. has the largest electronics (including computer) workforce in the world. Exposures to the measured elements can occur in other occupations as well, including
- Welding and metal shaping
- Military or police service (with weapons use)
- Handling and disposal of wastes
- Oil refining
- Petrochemical production
- Manufacture of pigments and coatings
Health Consequences of Exposure
- Evidence suggests that chronic toxic element exposure can adversely affect:
- Energy levels
- Neurological development and function
- Reproductive function
- Respiratory, cardiac, hepatic and immune functions
- Cancer risk
- Cognitive and emotional health
- Degenerative conditions
What is being measured
Type of test
“Provocation” Urine Testing - Urine can be collected following the administration of a “challenge” agent such as DMSA, DMPS,and targeting specific toxic elements. Depending on the agent administered, urine collection
may be spot orshort-term (2-6 hours), intermediate (8-12 hours) or a complete 24-hour collection. Since many detoxificationagents are element-specific, this approach is best utilised when the clinician suspects specific heavy metaltoxicities.
Before Taking this Test
Avoid taking creatine supplements (2 days before test)
Do not collect urine during a period
This test can only be carried out with a consultation with Smart Nutrition as guidance over the use of the challenge is necessary. There will also be an additional cost of the challenge supplement.
Please do get in touch and I will be happy to discuss your individual requirements.